Research Director / Senior Research Director - SMI Alcott
Park Ridge, IL
Company: An established boutique market research consulting firm, headquartered in Park Ridge, IL (near public transportation), that services Fortune 100 companies. Clients include major pharmaceutical, personal care, service, food and packaged goods companies, both US and globally. Company is 30 years old and has 28 employees.
Description of Position:
This position will provide a solid marketing research director the opportunity to manage all aspects of large, strategic consumer projects (with special focus on segmentation), while directly reporting to senior management and overseeing more junior members and support staff.
1. Design / Analysis: Identify analytical plan against business issues. Analyze data from extensive, customized survey-based data for business-oriented conclusions. Requires attention to detail, analytical skills, research curiosity, familiarity / comfort level with numbers, data and statistics.
2. Questionnaire Development: Working collaboratively with senior members and junior staff, build / create highly custom, strategic research questionnaires according to business objectives, client input, and pertinent qualitative research. Requires creativity, curiosity about consumer behavior.
3. Project Management: Working collaboratively with senior and junior staff through the life of a research project. Requires project management skills, deep understanding of project flow and internal processes, communication skills, and people management, including mentoring / coaching, providing constructive feedback, delegating appropriate components to junior staff.
4. Communications: Significant client contact on questionnaire development, data needs, answering questions on data, providing information on study methodology and accessing data. Some management of outside vendors throughout project process. Requires professional, mature manner, customer service skills, communication skills, and analytic / problem-solving skills.
- 8+ years in marketing research position (senior analyst, manager, associate director) with direct hands-on experience with survey research data, research project management and business applications – with exposure to full range of business issues and relevant types of research
- At least a bachelor’s degree; master’s preferred but not required; relevant fields (economics, business, marketing / marketing research, statistics, mathematics, psychology, sociology) desirable but not required
- Experience in analyzing marketing research data for business implications, particularly large data sets
- Excellent math / analytical skills with a working knowledge of multivariate statistics
- Strong experience in questionnaire development
- Interest in both attitudinal and behavioral components to consumer behavior
- Strong organization / project management skills for handling large, broad, multi-faceted projects
- Ability to communicate implications of data well – written and oral. Strong, energetic presentation skills.
- People management, mentoring / coaching, providing constructive feedback, delegating appropriate components to junior staff
- Enthusiastic, self-starter, creative problem-solver
- Meeting facilitation skills a plus
- Proposal management experience (design, bidding, writing) a plus
- Global research knowledge / experience and / or language facility a plus
Benefits: Casual-dress company located in Park Ridge, IL (near public transportation). Excellent benefits including health insurance and 401K.