Genentech - Marketing Analytics and Strategy
South San Francisco, CA
Please apply directly to this role with Genentech by clicking here.
Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunities exist in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Marketing Analytics and Strategy Positions
The Individual Contributor in Marketing Analytics and Strategy (MA&S) is a strategic thought partner to key stakeholders and an integral contributor to Genentech’s commercial planning efforts.
He/she is responsible for providing strategic sales and marketing insights, leveraging primary market research methodologies to conduct qualitative and quantitative research across customer types.
MA&Sers work together with their peers whose expertise areas span:
- Market Research: applying primary market research methodologies to conduct qualitative and quantitative research across customer types
- Forecasting: creating time-series and/or patient-based forecasts; conducting uncertainty analyses
- Competitive Intelligence: monitoring and tracking competitive landscape; conducting threat assessment (including timelines and probability of launch assessments)
- Marketing Science / Data Scientist: designing and delivering advanced quantitative data analyses leveraging large/complex datasets
The specific role we are recruiting for focuses on Marketing Science. However, all Individual Contributors have the opportunity to blend and extend their expertise on different initiatives to further develop both the breadth and depth of their capabilities.
Please note, the MA&S hiring process considers all applicants to all open roles. So even though there are multiple roles posted, please only apply to one MA&S requisition, and know that we will be assessing your candidacy for all open roles throughout the resume screening and interviewing process.
- Work with Group Managers and Associate Directors to understand business needs and priorities, as well as immediate scope of work
- Provide technical/analytical expertise to the team through secondary data analytics
- Apply analytical and statistical methods to answer a variety of business questions using multiple data sources and technical tools
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of promotional efforts, projects, and practices and identify opportunities to optimize value of investments
- Collaborate within cross-functional teams to develop solutions, gain alignment and deliver impactful business insights; engage necessary stakeholders to enable better decision-making
- Openly share perspective and insights to elevate team thinking and drive a balanced, holistic point of view; effectively weigh and communicate trade-off considerations
- Take an enterprise mindset, linking individual responsibilities with broader organization; focus on outcomes that provide most business value
- Demonstrate self-accountability
- Look for opportunities for continuous improvement; engage managers and peer group regularly for coaching, assistance, and advocacy
- Act as a thought partner and advisor to all relevant teams and stakeholders; look for and establish opportunities for peer mentorship
Who You Are
In Individual Contributors, we are looking for people who are nimble, able to effectively collaborate and lend expertise to multi-functional teams and adapt quickly to competing priorities within their franchise. We are also looking for people who are committed to continuing to make Genentech a great place to work, by seeking opportunities to develop their own and others’ expertise through ongoing mentorship and coaching.
- Be a "Self-starter"; strong sense of responsibility with demonstrable comfort in an entrepreneurial environment
- Able to work effectively in a fluid, cross-functional matrixed environment and stand out as a successful collaborator
- Strong interpersonal skills and a consultative mindset, with the ability to develop strong partnerships
- Good problem-solving ability, breaking down complex problems into distinct parts, managing uncertainty, understanding and anticipating interdependencies
- Able to proactively “connect the dots” by asking thought-provoking questions
- Objective when presenting insights and guiding decision-making; demonstrate good presentation skills by pairing sound analytics with storytelling
- Motivated to continuously improve performance; outcomes-focused and driven to achieve objectives
- Able to lean in and manage through change
We are recruiting across several levels. All roles require at least:
- Bachelor’s degree (business, economics, statistics, mathematics, or physical sciences or related field); MBA or Graduate-level degree
Associate Manager, MA&S:
- 2+ years of work experience with a Bachelor’s degree; 1+ year of work experience with a Master’s degree; 0+ years of work experience with PhD/JD, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry (commercial or clinical) and/or management consulting
- 4+ years of work experience with Bachelor’s degree; 3+ years of work experience with Master’s degree; 2+ years of work experience with PhD/JD, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry (commercial or clinical) and/or management consulting
Senior Manager, MA&S:
- 7+ years of work experience with Bachelor’s degree; 5+ years of work experience with Master’s degree; 4+ years of work experience with PhD/JD, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry (commercial or clinical) and/or management consulting
Principal Manager, MA&S:
- 10+ years of work experience with Bachelor’s degree; 8+ year of work experience with Master’s degree; 7+ years of work experience with PhD/JD, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry (commercial or clinical) and/or management consulting
- Deep expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Market Research
- Competitive Intelligence
- Data Analytics and/or Advanced Data Analytics
- Strong knowledge of/experience working with SAS (Base SAS, Macro language, SAS/STAT, regression, T-tests, chi-square, experimental design, CHAID)
- Strong knowledge of secondary data sources including syndicated sales, promotional & marketing data, longitudinal patient level data; experience with payer data
- Considerable experience and expertise with statistical modeling, analysis and presentation of results to a non-technical audience
- Experience acting as a strategic thought partner to teams; Demonstrated ability to problem solve and think outside the box
- Proven track record of leadership, time-management, project management, and teamwork
- Expertise in standard analysis and presentation software (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Persuasive written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience managing outside vendors
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
Please apply directly to this role with Genentech by clicking here.