Director Data Science
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
The SAI Data Science team lead is responsible for creating a vision and strategic plan for the Data Science team. To do this, he or she is responsible for working across CMG to ensure that leaders are aware of and able to leverage the value that DS brings, working with other CMG functional leaders who have distributed data science talent, to understand their needs and connect them to the resources of the COE, and to ensure that the resourcing and capabilities of the DS team are aligned with current and future needs.
• Lead and coach DS team
• Understand business priorities and shape team and capability action plans to maximize contributions to our CMG mission & vision
• Partner on service execution, performance, and key platforms to ensure a high functioning data science environment in CMG
• Lend subject matter expertise as a leader or member of WPTs across the organization which combine the need for a deep command of data analysis and business trends (which often facilitates/requires back of envelope/judgment instead of deep analysis), with a need to influence and guide objectively and at a high level
• 10+ years of relevant work experience with Bachelors; 9+ years of work experience with Masters; 8+ years of work experience with PhD/JD, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry (commercial or clinical) and/or management consulting
• 4+ years experience managing people preferred, with a proven track in people development, coaching for results and leading cross-functional teams within a matrix organization. Experience managing through layers preferred.
• Experience working with large complex data and corresponding query / programming languages such as R, Python or SQL plus experience with Big Data and cloud technologies such as Hadoop and AWS preferred
• Strong knowledge of secondary data sources including syndicated sales, promotional & marketing data, longitudinal patient level data; experience with payer data is preferred
• Considerable experience and expertise with statistical modeling, analysis and presentation of results to a non-technical audience
• Experience with field force analytics, including customer segmentation, targeting, and promotional response measurements preferred
• Demonstrated skill with translating complex technical analyses and concepts into business stories for non technical audiences
• Experience planning and allocating tactical and budget planning resources, including headcount and outside spend in order to best meet the business need, improve customer experience, and advance innovation within own scope of domain
• Demonstrated experience creating a vision and strategic plans that influence department initiatives
• PhD or Master's degree in Business, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Physical Sciences or related field is required. Bachelor’s degree may be considered sufficient for applicants with more extensive work experience.
• Hands-on work experience with large complex data sets, programming languages such as R, Python or SQL and Big Data technology, statistical modeling, and translation of results to a non-technical audience preferred.
• Significant commercial, strategic experience required, biopharmaceutical experience preferred
• Business travel, by air or car, is required for regular internal and external business meetings
• Complies with all laws,